So, the other day I had the prilege to be interviewed by a fellow home business leader and a question came up –
“Jerry, how do you start out a new teammate the right way?”
My answer, of all my supposed marketing glory, is very simple… getting the new guy/gal’s mind to THINK right.
In this day and age of information OVER-load, we’re seeing all too often fly-by-night, short-term tactics and fads that promise ridiculous results could be achieved within nano-seconds doing seemingly no or little work at all. At the same time there are strategies that DO actually work, but it takes a some effort to sort through all that’s being offered out there to find what works for us individually.
Here’s my belief, and it seems to work well for my teammates so far –
What it really comes down to in business (as well as personal life, mind you), is to have the correct mindset to truly reach one’s potential and create
Here are my 5 simple suggestions –
1. Identifying the area of need for PERSONAL development.
In life, we find a wonderful coach (or coaches) right behind each winner. All champions have fantastic coaches and mentors. Think Michael Jordan would have won as many championships as he did without his coach Phil Jackson?Highly doubtful. Anyone should certainly help other people discover their way, and without an outside voice help them learn the right way to correct performance issues, it’s impossible to expect them to all of a sudden become successful.
However, the reality is that not everyone has access or the resources to a hire personal success coach (yes even in our industry), so I personally use and recommend to everybody I know to take advantage of a free assessment program called the Mental Fitness Challenge Pre-Challenge which systematically guide you through the process of discovering your strengths and weaknesses when it comes to personal development and leadership and gives you a nice graphic like this one –
The pre-challenge is FREE, and you can then pick up the actual training materials if you wish. I personally invested and used the 90 day Mental Fitness Challenge program, and my business results went through the ROOF.
2. Come up with a list of your best qualities. Place this list on the wall, or carry it with you as much as you can. Better yet, record a video or audio clip and review it often. This will help you develop your confidence FIRST before facing your weaknesses. This is kinda like when someone has good news and bad news for you and ask which you’d like to hear first. The human mind cannot process negatives (“don’t think about the pink elephant”)… so I like helping people see their strengths first and praise them before getting into areas they need to work on. Most people have been beat up (mentally and sometimes physically), condemned and complained to enough in life already.
3. Regular exercise is essential for your self improvement. Doing exercises daily, having a great deal of vegetables and fruit are essential elements and having quality sleep each day have proven to attain positive growth in personal performance. This may seem like a simple process, but for some this is as difficult as quitting smoking. All in all, our business success inherently depends on our mental and physical health.
When you’re attempting to grow as a person, disappointments can be harsh and bruise your ego and self esteem. Approach these challenges/crisis as the opportunity to understand your weak spots as well as strong points. In many ways, failing is undoubtedly a success in itself, as it will show you have tried and persevered, and discovered some pretty important stuff about yourself.
There is nothing more important to your personal development than focusing on health concerns. You will not only execute much better physically and mentally when you’re healthy… but you’ll also stay away from time and stress of pointless health scares and challenges. Each of your most significant personal development targets must be to start off living a healthier life style.
4. Knowing that you are entitled to only the very best is incredibly crucial in self improvement. You need to know that you owe yourself sweet rewards for your hard work. Believe in your heart that you deserve the success.
5. You can’t make everybody happy, so quit trying. Make yourself happy first. Without being happy yourself and satisfying your own needs, it is incredibly difficult to serve others. And without serving others in our industry you will not have any success. This does not necessarily mean privileging your joy by way of overspending or binging; however it does imply you need to be responsible for your happiness. They key would be to keep true in your values, after which you can have a significantly better chance at realizing your goals and dreams.
Try these recommendations and track any positive improvements in your life and business. Report back your victories here and share with the community. We look forward to hearing the good news!
P.S. Be sure to at least take the FREE Mental Fitness Challenge Pre-Challenge which systematically guide you through the process of discovering your strengths and weaknesses when it comes to personal development and leadership. As John Maxwell said “everything rises and falls on leadership,” and our success in business is no exception.